Libyan Coastguard in Altercation with NGO Ship

By Ahmed Elumami TRIPOLI, May 10 (Reuters) – Libya’s coastguard intercepted about 300 migrants packed onto a wooden boat and returned them to Tripoli on Wednesday after warning off a ship that was preparing to pick them up for passage to Europe.

Footage filmed by Sea-Watch, a non-governmental organization, showed a Libyan coastguard vessel coming within meters of its own ship as it sped to stop the migrants.

Tripoli coastguard spokesman Ayoub Qassem said the incident had occurred about 19 miles (30 km) north of Libya’s coast.

Libyan Coast Guard puts refugees and rescuers in danger

#BREAKING: Libysche Marine bringt bei illegaler Rückführungsaktion die Sea-Watch 2 Crew und Flüchtende in akute Lebensgefahr! [DE/EN]Die von der EU finanzierte Libysche Küstenwache hat während einer see- und völkerrechtswidrigen Rückführungsaktion heute die Crew der Sea-Watch 2, sowie mehrere Hundert Flüchtende auf einem Holzboot in Lebensgefahr gebracht. Der Vorfall, bei dem ein Patrouillenboot der libyschen Marine unser Schiff beinahe rammte, wurde von Sea-Watch dokumentiert. Ziel der Libyer war es, ein Flüchtlingsboot aus internationalen Gewässern nach Libyen zurückzubringen. Dies geschah ganz im Sinne des Aktionsplans der EU, welcher vorsieht, die Libysche Marine und Küstenwache für die Migrationsabwehr einzuspannen. Ähnliche Aktionen haben schon in der Vergangenheit zu tödlichen Zwischenfällen geführt. Die EU muss von diesem Plan daher dringend Abstand nehmen, um die Situation auf dem Mittelmeer nicht weiter zu eskalieren. Es muss zudem eine unabhängige Untersuchung stattfinden, inwieweit möglicherweise europäische Behörden die illegale Rückführung veranlasst haben.#SafePassage #MenschenrechteOhneKompromisseVideo: 2017 – Raoul Kopacka---#BREAKING: Libyan Coast Guard puts refugees and rescuers in danger!The EU-funded Libyan coast guard has today brought the crew of the Sea-Watch 2, as well as several hundreds of refugees on a wooden boat, in a life-threatening danger, during a repatriation action which is illegal under sea and international law. The incident, during which a patrol vessel of the Libyan Navy nearly drove our ship, was documented by Sea-Watch. The aim of the Libyans was to bring a refugee boat from international waters back to Libya. This was entirely within the meaning of the EU Action Plan, which envisaged the Libyan navy and coast guard for the anti-immigration service. Similar actions have led to fatal incidents in the past. The EU must therefore urgently refrain from this plan in order not to escalate the situation on the Mediterranean. It is also necessary to carry out an independent investigation into the extent to which European authorities have caused illegal repatriation.#humanrightsNOcompromisseVideo: 2017 – Raoul Kopacka

Posted by Sea-Watch on Wednesday, May 10, 2017

 

“An international rescue organization called Sea-Watch tried to hinder the work of our coastguard … in a bid to take the migrants, claiming Libya is not safe for migrants,” he said.

Qassem added that the coastguard had also exchanged fire with smugglers, but gave no details.

Ruben Neugebauer, a spokesman for Sea-Watch, said the NGO had received instruction from Italy’s coastguard control center in Rome that the Libyan coastguard would be taking over “on-scene command,” and that the Sea-Watch ship had stopped to await further instructions.

“Without any warning, they crossed our bow on the way to the migrant boat,” Neugebauer said. “They made an extremely dangerous maneuver. They nearly hit our boat, they endangered our crew.”

Libya is the main departure point for migrants hoping to reach Europe by sea. The country has been in turmoil for years and migrants living there or passing through say they are subject to a range of abuses. A record 181,000 made the trip in 2016 and arrivals in Italy so far this year are up 30 percent.

PERILOUS JOURNEY

Most migrants attempt the perilous journey on flimsy inflatable boats provided by smugglers that are barely equipped to make it to international waters. Larger wooden boats carrying several hundred migrants are rarer.

Some migrants are turned back by the Libyan coastguard, which generally delivers them to detention centers notorious for poor conditions and ill-treatment. The coastguard is receiving training from the European Union as it seeks to limit migrant departures and deaths.

Other migrants are taken to Italy after being picked up by NGO ships that run rescue missions, European or Italian naval and coastguard patrols, and other international vessels.

The wooden boat intercepted on Wednesday was carrying a large number of Moroccans, as well as other migrants from North Africa and the Middle East.

Migrants on board said they had left the western Libyan city of Sabratha on Tuesday night. They said there were more than 100 Moroccans, including about 15 women, some five of whom were being taken for medical treatment as they arrived in Tripoli. One appeared to be seriously ill.

One 24-year-old Moroccan man said he had come to Libya five weeks earlier in order to try to reach Europe. A 28-year-old man, also Moroccan, said he had been working in Libya for four years, but had decided to leave because the situation was deteriorating.

A Syrian woman on board said she had traveled through six countries to reach Libya, paying $1,000 in each and leaving two sons aged 12 and 13 behind in Jordan.

“I wanted to leave for Europe,” she said. “It was an attempt to get a better life and reunite my whole family in Europe, but unfortunately we couldn’t make it.” (Additional reporting by Steve Scherer in Rome; Writing by Aidan Lewis; Editing by Gareth Jones)

 

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.